Skip to main content

Toxic Trends



Media is always influencing us, no matter what we do. We can't avoid its consequences, no matter the circumstance or how pointless it seems, and recent trends or "memes" are here to prove that. Tide pods are known as just a form of laundry detergent, but now to the media they are known as "a forbidden snack." As pointless and ignorant as it sounds, nowadays people will do anything they see on social media, so we need to be more cautious about what we consider a trend and "joke"about on the web.
Obviously, anyone in their right mind would not consume tide pods, but with the media having so many members of the youth, anyone would do anything for attention/views. These trends of "forbidden snacks" involve inanimate objects being desired to be eaten by people simply because of their look, and tide pods is the most well-known of this trend. Trends like these are simply supposed to be comedic, and personally I think they are funny as well, but to people not in a smart state of mind, these trends can be toxic fast.
For views, people would do the unspeakable to attract a larger following. Videos are spread all over media with people shaving their heads, eyebrows, drinking soap, and eating tide pods, all for a quick laugh or even just a like. Trends like these are toxic, whether we'd like to believe it or not. I don't like taking these things very seriously because I am like everyone else and I find humor in these pointless things, but when digging deep into the trends we are creating, I realize how stupid and dangerous the reality of these trends are.
In my opinion, people should not do ignorant things for views if it affects them more in the long run. Why risk the potential health problems of consuming toxins from laundry detergent when you could mind your own business and find new ways of entertainment. I will continue to laugh at these memes, but never will I be ignorant enough to attempt one myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Relationship with Social Media

When I think of social media, I think of portraying myself as not a way of self expression, but instead as a way to impress others or act like someone I am not. When people upload on social media, my first thoughts are how happy and lively other's lives are compared to mine, but then I think to myself, what if everyone had the same mindset as myself, and social media itself is only a representation of us creating a false image for ourselves? For me to say I do not invest time into social media is hypocritical, but from the experiences I have had with media in the past I can say that I have very much been put under the influence by it. I used to plan my life accordingly just so I could look a certain way in front of others, even if deep down it meant nothing to me. What does this mean in relation to myself? Or to society? When I think of the realistic relationship I have with social media, it makes me look like any other try-hard teenager who can't do things to impress mys...

"Two and a half minutes to midnight"

For the last two years, the minute hand of the Doomsday Clock stayed at three minutes before the hour, the closest it’s been to midnight since the 1980s. During another casual in-class discussion in Mr.Masincupp’s class, I learned about the dangers our world is facing and how in reality, how close we are to the end of the world. With all of the recent events that have led to the scientific-based clock leaning towards midnight, the probability of global catastrophe is extremely high and need to be taken seriously. With events such as the election of Trump, the affairs with North Korea, and all of the natural disasters happening so rapidly, the sad truth is without change, the world is near its final goodbyes.             The Doomsday Clock is a symbol that represents the likelihood of a man-made catastrophe, and as the hypothetical handle reaches closer to midnight, the closer we are to total global domination. The clock is at...

Advertisement and our Psychology

When looking at the photo above, without thinking, how many of the logos can you instantly recognize? Throughout our lives, advertisements have been around us on a daily basis. But, as we evolve as people, so do advertisements and the media surrounding us. Advertisements have never been only about the promotion of products or brand names, but moreover creating a connection with the consumer themselves. Advertisements have been used productively to influence our minds and control our decision-making, in a way by making us believe that their company is not just a product, but a brand-a connection we can find no where else. Especially for those living in the era of Generation Z, there has been little to no amount of time where technology, media and new forms of advertisements have been on the uprise, quickly enveloping us into the state of mind that makes us believe that ads and companies are essential to living life, when they are not. Many fail to realize the influence on ads in our c...